David Allen puts Boxing Career On Hold

David Allen has revealed how a battle with depression is behind his decision to put his promising boxing career on hold.
The 23-year-old Doncaster man has cancelled a scheduled fight this weekend and will spend time away from the ring to seek help for mental health issues.
Allen had extended Dillian Whyte to 10 rounds in a July points defeat and was considered one of Britain's upcoming heavyweight prospects. 
But after a recent relapse into depression and gambling issues, Allen has decided to leave the sport for an indeterminate spell. 
Allen took Dillian Whyte the distance in a July points defeat
Allen took Dillian Whyte the distance in a July points defeat
He exclusively told Sky Sports: "People need to come forward and talk about such things. It's one of those things. As far as the boxing is concerned, I don't think it's the close of it, but boxing obviously doesn't help.
"It wasn't losing the fight that effected me. You go back to the normal life and gambling has always filled the void.
"There are fighters who have achieved a lot more than I have, they reach for drugs and other things, and gambling is a big crutch of mine.
"I don't think like it's something I can give 100 per cent, due to these issues. It's hard, because I may be two or three fights from a big fight."
Allen admits he adopted a jovial image ahead of his fight with Whyte
Allen admits he adopted a jovial image ahead of his fight with Whyte
Allen shared a lively war of words with Whyte ahead of their domestic clash, but insists his light-hearted image was just disguising his inner problems.
"It's difficult, because that's the kind of side that everyone sees," he said. "The only people that don't see that are my close friends and family.
"It's difficult keeping that facade up, 24-7, all the time. When a bad day does come, all that goodness disappears and the bad comes in.
"I 100 per cent will box again at some point, because that's what I love to do. But it's just not giving me any stability in my life right now and that's what I need.
"If a man like myself can go through this, then anyone else can, because I'm a pretty hard man. I used to be ashamed and hide away from it, but now if I've got a problem, I don't even care. If I'm struggling, I need to see someone.
"It's easier when people know what you're going through, because then they understand and appreciate what is happening."

A young ambitious guy who reside in Lagos. A future chemical engineer with good dreams and plan for the industry. With me it's fun all the way.

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »